If you’re familiar with cheap food in San Franciscoo, and we hope you are!, then the burrito probably comes to mind as the iconic food. It’s cheap, quick, delicious, and filling! If you’re more prone to think of burritos as the dung bags you find frozen next to the microwave in a gas station convenience store, let us change your perprective – a proper burrito is a beautiful thing, food for the masses, the people’s meal!
San Franciscans generally feel pretty strongly about this subject – they already know where to find the best burritos, and everyone has an opinion on what constitutes the best. Well, allow the Cheap Bastard to join this discussion. Below is the definitive list (according to us, anyway!) of the top 5 best burritos in San Francisco:
- Taquería Cancun – They always seem to top the “best burrito” lists, but it’s easy to see why, even despite their periodic inconsistencies. Cancun’s taqueros do it up right! Grilled tortillas, perfect pinto beans, rico rice, and great spicy salsa. The ones to get are definitely either carne asada or the vegetarian. Their meat is delicious and juicy and their vegetarian burrito is filling and delicious with whole slices of avocado.3211 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
- La Taquería. La Taquería is another one of those places that tops the best burrito lists. Again, they really are that good! La Taquería sets themselves apart from the rest by not including rice in their burritos. We were skeptical of this at first, believing that rice is a central burrito component, but it works! Without the rice, the tender beans and juicy steak are enhanced.2889 Mission St
San Francisco, CA
- Victor’s. Victor’s is off the beaten path, at least when baseball season is over. They’re located near Willie May Field where the Giants play, so they’re an ideal lunch spot on game days. Victor’s owner Gracie makes a point of addressing each customer as Guapo/a and serves a no-nonsense burrito, although it’s not a Mission-style one. Go for the grilled chicken with refried beans, guapa!
210 Townsend Street
San Francisco, CA
- El Metate – This place is also a little off the main drags. El Metate features ridculously fresh ingredients and features a salsa bar stocked with expertly-created salsas. Their focus on fresh vegetables means that their vegetarian burritos are among the best anywhere!
2406 Bryant St
San Francsico, CA
- Taquería San Buena – San Buena is a taco truck, so its location changes. But it’s food is top notch. Somehow, they excel at carnitas (pork refried in pork fat!) despite their small kitchen. Perhaps its cooked in the San Buena mothership, wherever that may be.
But this list is just the Cheap Bastad’s opinion? Surely, you must have your own recommendations for the best burritos in town? Let us know!