Looking back, the Cheap Bastard has come to realize that this humble old site, cheapbastardsf.com, has been around a while now! In fact, we've been around long enough that the landscape of cheap is shifting right out from under our feet.
First and foremost, if you haven't noticed already, there's been a huge financial catastrophe which is continuing to unfold before our eyes. The upshot is that a lot more folks are in need of saving money 'case they don't have the money that the once did. On top of that, there's been some inflation too. Not out of control inflation, the actual rate is quite low, but some factors, such as the requirement that businesses such as restaurants provide health care coverage to their workers has caused lunch prices to go up.
Lunch in downtown SF was once a meal that, with a little skill, could easily be had for $5 or under. Those days have waned! Now, getting a lunch downtown for under $8 should be considered the standard for cheap.
But there are a few places we thought we should point out for their ability to keep it cheap. Do you have any suggestions? Ways to eat for less? Let us know!
- San Buena taco truck – awesomely delicious burritos for $6.50 at the corner of Bush & Sansome
- Yank Sing Express – sounds pricey, but their lunch special goes for about $4.50 on Stevenson between 1st and 2nd
- Bindi – Indian boxed lunch – vegetarian curries and rice for $5 on 2nd between Market and Mission
- Muffins Muffins – banh mi Vietnamese sandwiches located in a muffin shop for $5 on 2nd between Mission and Howard
- Tea Garden – tiny Taiwan Chinese hole in the wall located in a parking garage – noodles and rice rolls for under $5 on Mission between 1st and 2nd